The Lafayette Parish Sheriff’s Office is looking for a human resources generalist to perform common HR functions and duties. To ensure success, candidates should display forward-thinking decision-making skills with a deep understanding of employee relationships, staffing management, legal compliance, and other human resources tasks. Proactivity in resolving problems before they occur is a high priority for this position. Top candidates will be comfortable managing grey areas and proposing measures consistent with the latest HR trends and best practices.
- Perform and/or assist with all internal and external HR related matters.
- Participate in developing or modifying organizational guidelines and procedures.
- Assist with the recruitment process and monitor for legal and anti-discrimination compliance
- Coordinate performance management and evaluate effectiveness.
- Perform on boarding processing of new employees.
- Manage the organization’s employee database and prepare reports as requested.
- Assist with payroll and attendance/leave monitoring.
- Keep up-to-date with the latest HR trends and best practices.
- Perform efficient record keeping and prepare reports as required by policy and law
- Participate in and/or provide guidance for interviews with internal employee movement and external applicants
- Work comfortably under pressure and meets deadlines.
- Ability to work with others and communicate in a professional office setting.
- Coordinate internships and intern processing
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field (required).
- 2 years of experience as a human resources professional performing similar duties to the above list (preferred). *Experience with a government/law enforcement agency (strongly preferred).
- Deep understanding of labor law and employment equity regulations.
- SHRM-CP and/or PHP Certification strongly preferred.
- Knowledge of HR functions and best practices.
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Computer literacy with capability in email, MS Office and related HR software (Great Plains preferred).
- Be of good moral character and have a clear background consistent with employment by a law enforcement agency.
Hours: Monday-Thursday 7:30am-5pm, Friday 8:00am-Noon
Location: 316 W. Main St. Lafayette, LA 70501
Salary: Depending on Experience
LPSO is an equal opportunity employer.